[Vwoolf] For Agatha Christie fans

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 03:57:09 EDT 2020

 I'd say the 'small' of his back (is this just a UK term?), i.e. near the bottom of the spine, which might be regarded as the centre of the body. Like a ceiling boss in architecture, except that in most people there's no protuberance. If you put your arm behind your back at (approx) a right angle, the small of your back is where it would rest. Any other position is not restful.
This is my favourite opening sequence. A real modernist work of art, from the Art Deco pendant turning into half a moustache, fanning out into the Cubist images of Poirot, the train and plane, with what looks like Battersea Power Station in the background, the tools of Poirot's trade (magnifying glass and smoking gun), the fan spotlight echoing the upright fan earlier on, more Cubist images, and Poirot walking away 'with his [left] arm resting on the boss of his back'. Superlative.
Not an 'authoritative answer', but if Poirot does it, that's good enough for me.