[Vwoolf] Vwoolf Digest, Vol 95, Issue 8

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Apr 20 11:48:03 EDT 2020

Fair point. Without VW's statement few if any would probably see
Septimus as Clarissa's double.

More generally, doubles can be recognized even when two characters lack
obvious similarities if

  * Other people take the double for the character doubled
    (Dostoyevsky's Golyadkin)
  * A character is fascinated by the double (which might apply to Clarissa)
  * A character actually refers to another character as "my double" (
    the captain and Leggatt in Conrad's "The Secret Sharer".
  * The double can be said to represent a character's repressed desires
    (this has been argued of Orlick in /Great Expectations/, who (again
    it has been claimed) carries out Pip's repressed wishes. (Could at a
    stretch be applied to Clarissa's desire for death?)

Jeremy H