[Vwoolf] Woolf Appearances on When Calls the Heart Hallmark TV Series

Adela M Hurtado amh581 at nyu.edu
Wed Apr 15 14:24:24 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Hope you are all taking care during this time. There’s a Hallmark series named “When Calls the Heart” airing every Sunday night at 8pm EST, and I’ve been watching this season because an actor I like is on there now. Just to give a little context, the show is set in the early 1900s and revolves mainly around a schoolteacher in Hope Valley named Elizabeth and her fellow townspeople.

She’s recently a widow and now has two suitors vying for her love. She’s also an aspiring writer and has shared her drafts with one of her suitors, Lucas.

Lucas makes the first move and asks Elizabeth out on a date. But it was no ordinary date. He bought two tickets to a WOOLF READING where Virginia Woolf herself would read her latest published work— "The Voyage Out"! And would discuss women in publishing! There would even be a reception with Woolf afterwards! Can I be Elizabeth?

Elizabeth confers with her best friend about this, who says Virginia Woolf is “all the rage!”

Elizabeth says yes and they have a great time. Elizabeth actually spoke to Woolf after the reading, but was so excited she barely remembered what she said. Lucas and Elizabeth have dinner and discuss a bit of Woolf’s unique voice, her writing style, and how they can’t wait to read what Woolf writes next.

The next day Lucas actually presents to Elizabeth a gift. He showed her a book, and I thought, “Oh, a first edition!” But no, Elizabeth opened the book and it was “The Voyage Out" with WOOLF'S AUTOGRAPH! I screamed!

Accurate or not, the Woolf fangirl in me was a bit overwhelmed. I thought I would share for all of us Woolf fans here! :)

Adela Hurtado