[Vwoolf] More on Mrs. Dalloway and Pandemic

Diane Reynolds direynolds1502 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 19:31:30 EDT 2020

Elizabeth,

That was a lovely article, beautifully written. I have reread “The Second Coming” many a time since 2016, but I had never thought of it in light of the influenza pandemic-- thank you for that.  I also felt very much the passage about contagion guilt: I think sometimes during the rare times I am now out, what if I infect someone? I think, too, of course, about being infected, but the other thought haunts me as well:

The invisibility of the threat in turn produces what we might term contagion guilt, a haunting fear that one might pass a deadly infection to another. Routes of transmission are known generally but rarely specifically; one fears but does not know the precise means of transfer. In William Maxwell’s elegiac novel They Came Like Swallows, which recalls his own pregnant mother’s death in the influenza pandemic, the characters are haunted by all the what-ifs: what if they had taken their boy out of school earlier? What if they had chosen the next train car rather than the first one? What if they had not entered the room that day? Such guilt can live in the mind as a low-lying presence, unresolved and unresolvable. And this guilt comes, too, in its anticipatory form—what if that touch, that visit, that missed hand wash harms a loved one or a stranger?