[Vwoolf] I blame the First World War

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 2 12:23:52 EDT 2020

I feel I want to shake people who will *not* believe what life was like a century ago, even tho’ I try to explain how different it was . . .

For example, if someone had said to you: Come to tea; my doctor will be there.  And you turned up, and the doctor was – a woman – you would have felt resentful that you had not been told in advance, even tho’ you had no objection to women doctors.

Anyway, I just came across a ref. to Thornton’s, the Estate Agents in Lewes, which VW mentions in Jan. 1924 (D2 282 & n2).  But my ref. is in the novelist Mrs Dudeney’s diaries, for 1 Jan. 1935: “Went in to Thorntons about letting The Old Poor House.  The man *sat* down beside me!  They have no manners nowadays.”