[Vwoolf] my talk in London, Friday 11/1

Anne Fernald fernald at fordham.edu
Sat Sep 28 10:57:42 EDT 2019

Dear Woolfians,

Fordham University has a newly renovated London Centre which we're anxious
to show off. To that end, I'll be giving a talk on Woolf there on November
1st. I do hope some of you will be able to come. It's free and open to the
public, with a light lunch before and drinks (there's a lovely terrace
there, I understand) after.

So let's nurse our Brexit hangovers together by talking about Woolf and
kindness. The event is free, but please RSVP here
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/not-quite-so-kind-woolf-and-the-limits-of-kindness-tickets-74088130593>.
And please share with your networks,

Anne

more info:

*Not Quite So Kind: Woolf and the limits of kindness*

In Woolf’s 1925 novel, Mrs. Dalloway, kindness has its limits. When the
shell-shocked veteran Septimus Warren Smith and his wife announce their
intention to seek a second opinion from Sir William Bradshaw, their Dr.,
Dr. Holmes turns on them with stunningly rapid bitterness* “if they were
rich… by all means let them go to Harley Street; if they had no confidence
in him, said Dr. Holmes, looking not quite so kind”* (84). In Mrs. Dalloway
and throughout her writing, Woolf explores both the limits of mere kindness
and what it means to be of a kind, to be kin, stressing the common root of
adjective and noun. This talk unpacks several of Woolf’s key uses of the
word kind to explore how, in 2019, we might understand the complex
interactions of social cues, intimacy, fondness, and mistrust in Woolf and
how those stories continue to resonate today.

Anne E. Fernald is Professor of English and Women’s Studies at Fordham
University. A scholar of modernism with a special focus on Virginia Woolf,
she is the editor of the Cambridge University Press Mrs. Dalloway (2014),
and one of the editors of The Norton Reader, a widely-used anthology of
essays. She is the author of Virginia Woolf: Feminism and the Reader (2006)
as well as articles and reviews on Woolf and feminist modernism. She is a
co-editor of the journal Modernism/modernity. She occasionally updates her
blog, Fernham, and can be found on twitter @fernham.

A light sandwich lunch will be served from 1330, and the talk will commence
at 1400. Refreshments will be served at 1530 and the session will end at
1630.

Fordham University (www.fordham.edu) is a research university founded in
1841 in New York City. It has over 15,000 students from 65 countries spread
across ten different colleges. Each year over 600 students from the
University's Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and the Gabelli School of
Business come to London to study at the Fordham University London Centre.

Anne E. Fernald <http://www.fordham.edu/info/24101/anne_fernald> (she/her)
Professor of English and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Special Advisor to the Provost for Faculty Development
Coeditor, Modernism/modernity
<https://www.press.jhu.edu/journals/modernismmodernity>
fernald at fordham.edu

Rose Hill: Cunniffe 230