[Vwoolf] Modern Fiction reference

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Sun Mar 31 06:53:26 EDT 2019

1. Lobster:  Not sure about Woolf, but her characters certainly ate lobster.

"You can't expect it brought to your door in a pail of water," said Mrs.
Swithin, "as I remember when we were children, living in a house by the
sea. Lobsters, fresh from the lobster pots. How they pinched the stick
cook gave them! And salmon. You know if they're fresh because they have
lice in their scales."
     Bartholomew nodded. A fact that was. He remembered, the house by
the sea. And the lobster.” (“A fact that was” sounds a bit like E.T.!)

2. Modern Fiction: I recall that many decades ago there was some debate
as to whether the "myriad impressions" paragraph was Woolf speaking
about her own view, or describing the attitude of younger writers. This
because the next paragraph starts: "It is, at any rate, in some such
fashion as this that we seek to define the quality which distinguishes
the work of several young writers, among whom Mr. James Joyce is the
most notable, from that of their predecessors." I still puzzle about
this I must admit.

Jeremy H