[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf at Stonehenge

Diane Reynolds direynolds1502 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 04:17:32 EDT 2019

As serendipity would have it, I visited a Neolithic site in Malta, called Ggantija, only to come home to read in Woolf's 1903 diary account of her first trip to Stonehenge. I shared with her the same sense of perplexity in trying to figure it out. We know so much more now about the Stonehenge site, but at the time it was all mystery, as much of Ggantija is now. I wondered if she thought of Hardy's Tess, but no word of that in the journal. I also can't help but ponder how little life has changed: we still take holidays and visit megalithic sites.  I imagine the chief difference is more of us can afford to do so.

Sent from my iPad