[Vwoolf] Reviews of Vita and Virginia

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 03:41:57 EDT 2019

 Thanks, Vara, this is really helpful.

In films or plays about real people you get used to the departures from reality, so I made a determined effort to ignore these and enjoyed the scenery and the costumes and, frankly, the well-recreated sets (all except Knole, which is gloriously real). But what didn't make dramatic sense is to have Vita's mother in residence at Knole instead of her father (who doesn't appear and isn't even mentioned). If Lionel is meant to be prematurely deceased, why hasn't Knole been bestowed on a male heir?