[Vwoolf] Beastly Modernisms CFP - extended deadline

Jeanne Dubino dubinoja at appstate.edu
Sun Feb 3 08:55:43 EST 2019

Dear Peter, Saskia, Maria, and Caitlin,

Thank you for getting back to me right away and for letting me know. I look
forward to hearing from you.

All best,

Jeanne

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 1:55 PM P.Adkins via Vwoolf <vwoolf at lists.osu.edu>
wrote:

> The deadline for Beastly Modernisms has been extended until Friday 8th
> February 2019. Please do consider submitting a paper and/or forwarding the
> call for papers to potentially interested scholars. One of our keynotes is
> a Woolfian scholar whom many of you will know and we would love for Woolf
> to be well represented in the papers at the event.
>

> *Call for Papers: Beastly Modernisms*
>
> *September 12-13, 2019*
>
> *University of Glasgow, Scotland *
>

> Keynote Speakers
>
> Kari Weil, Wesleyan University (US)
>
> Derek Ryan, University of Kent (UK)
>

> If modernism heralded a moment of socio-political, cultural and aesthetic
> transformation, it also instigated a refashioning of how we think about,
> encounter, and live with animals. Beasts abound in modernism. Virginia
> Woolf’s spaniel, T.S. Eliot’s cats, James Joyce’s earwig, D.H. Lawrence’s
> snake, Samuel Beckett’s lobster, and Djuna Barnes’s lioness all present
> prominent examples of where animals and animality are at the forefront of
> modernist innovation. At stake in such beastly figurations are not just
> matters of species relations, but questions of human animality and broader
> ideas of social relations, culture, sex, gender, capitalism, and religion.
> Modernism’s interest in the figure of the animal speaks to the immense
> changes in animal life in the early twentieth century, a period where the
> reverberations of Darwinian theory were being felt in the new life
> sciences, as well as emergent social theories that employed discourses of
> species, and developing technologies and markets that radically altered
> everyday human-animal relations. It was also a period in which new theories
> of human responsibilities towards animals were also being articulated with
> Donald Watson coining the idea of veganism in 1944.
>

> The recent “animal turn” in the humanities invites new ways of thinking
> about the beasts that we find in modernist culture. Moreover, animal
> studies arrives at a point at which modernist studies is already in the
> process of redefining what modernism means. Turning to modernism's beasts
> not only promises fresh ways of understanding its multispecies foundations,
> but also points towards how modernist studies might intervene in
> contemporary debates around animal life. Building on the foundational work
> on animals and modernism by Carrie Rohman, Margot Norris, Kari Weil, Derek
> Ryan and others, Beastly Modernisms invites papers on animals and all
> aspects of modernist culture.
>

> Topics may include, but are not limited to:
>

> •    Animal Life, Species and Speciesism
>
> •    Beasts, Beastliness and Bestiality
>
> •    The Creaturely
>
> •    Unstable Signifiers
>
> •    Animal Rights, Ethics and Politics
>
> •    Anti-Vivisection Movements
>
> •    Bestial Ontologies and Materialities
>
> •    Queer Animals and Sexuality
>
> •    Anthropocentrism and Anthropomorphism
>
> •    Human Animality and Social Darwinism

> [...]

Jeanne Dubino
Professor, English and Global Studies
Department of Cultural, Gender, and Global Studies
LLC 131
ASU Box 32080
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina 28608