[Vwoolf] Reference to Virginia Woolf’s ORLANDO opera—In the Age of the Ye llow Vests , Designer Jeans. Really? - The New York Times

mcuddy at chass.utoronto.ca mcuddy at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 24 10:14:37 EST 2019

Hi everyone,
I had the delight of watching the opera Orlando with two former students,
both of whom are Woolfians.  We had a great time!  I would not call it
adaptation or translation, but rather a free floating fantasia on the
theme of Orlando - it does begin by mirroring events in Woolf's work, but
skips Constantinople and the Victorian age to take us instead through WWII
up to climate change in our present day.  The reviews as mixed - there's
no doubt that the opera is challenging - trans in every way, including
trans musical genres. And I laughed and cried for both Woolf and myself
when Ned Greene, as editor, tells her, your writing is too complex, you
have to simplify, or you'll never get published. But the most moving part
for me was when the narrator begins to speak the words of Woolf's essay
"Craftmanship" (multi-sided!) and the opera then segues into Woolf's
recorded voice. And good for them, they slowed down this early recording
(those of us who remember old taping techniques know the chipmunk effect
on our voices and those who knew Woolf have spoken of her low voice), and
there she was reborn and recreated for us to hear.

Sadly there are misogynists elements in some of the negative reviews - the
woman composer, let alone the trans composer, still confronts unreceptive
ears. The opera probably does need a but of cutting, particularly in its
long polemical end.  But it's a fantastic experience, truly Woolfian, and
something to celebrate both for the imagination and talent of the composer
Olga Neuwirth and for the genius of Virginia Woolf!

with all best seasonal good wishes to all,
Melba