[Vwoolf] Better late than never (another one)

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 22 05:46:46 EDT 2019

I realise now that I should have annotated ‘we can’t afford Dr Nicholls. But he’s a good man’ in ‘Old Mrs Grey’ (1932; E6 469):

Joseph Warren McKillop Nicholl (1894–1961), MD, was a GP in Lewes from about 1925, “becoming a distinguished surgeon on the staff of the Victoria Hospital, Lewes. ... A man of varied and all-round interests, he made a great many friends, and his home was open to all: with his large figure and beaming smile, he greeted everyone on his doorstep. He was at heart a deeply religious man” (“British Medical Journal” obit, 14 Oct 1961, 1028-9).

He is mentioned a number of times in "A Lewes Diary, 1916-1944", by DUDENEY, Mrs Henry [Alice], ed. Diana Crook (Heathfield: Tartarus Press, 1998 pb).