[Vwoolf] Tips for teaching The Waves?

Andrea Zemgulys zemgulys at umich.edu
Mon Aug 19 14:27:22 EDT 2019

Hello Woolf List,

To my surprise, I’ve assigned The Waves for an upcoming seminar.  While the novel is essential reading, I have always found it very difficult to keep up discussion momentum past Day 2.  I used a tip from this list in the past, asking students to “commit” and “report” on a single persona…it led to strong essays, but it hurt large group dynamic in class.  Anyone out there have additional ideas?

yrs

Andrea

Andrea Zemgulys
Director of Undergraduate Studies English Language & Literature
University of Michigan
3187E Angell Hall
zemgulys at umich.edu