[Vwoolf] News relevant to Virginia Woolf and Bloomsbury

Harish Trivedi harish.trivedi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:04:25 EDT 2018

Many thanks, Krista Schepis, and that is not only prompt but also quite
convincing and conclusive!

Kuan Yin, more often spelt Guan Yin, is indeed the Chinese goddess of mercy
and compassion. Before getting transported and transformed to China, she
was a he in India, a frequently depicted Buddhist deity called the
Avalokiteshvara (aka Padmapani, the Lotus-in-Hand figure). One of the most
famous representations of this deity is from the caves of Ajanta in central
India. (For starters, Wikipedia has a sound enough entry, including a
reproduction of this iconic mural.)

A kitsch statue I bought of Guan Yin some years ago in Hong Kong showed her
holding a pot in one hand with its narrow mouth facing down, from which
water would drip, drop by slow drop, into the mouth of a crocodile lying at
the feet of the goddess. "It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven..."
And this was supposed to go on perpetually, until the water needed to be
replenished in our hot climate.

I look forward to seeing a sharper image of the figure at Charleston.

Did Roger Fry ever write about this or any other Indian/Chinese figures?

Best wishes.

Harish Trivedi