[Vwoolf] Exhibitions | Orlando at the present time | 8 Sep 2018 - 9 Jan 2019

Kristin Czarnecki Kristin_Czarnecki at georgetowncollege.edu
Sat Sep 8 13:08:46 EDT 2018

https://www.charleston.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions-8-september-2018-6-january-2019-orlando-present-time/

Exhibitions | Orlando at the present time | 8 Sep 2018 - 9 Jan 2019

BOOK EXHIBITION TICKETS NOW<https://charlestontrust.digitickets.co.uk/event-tickets/16832?catID=7875>

ORLANDO AT THE PRESENT TIME
WOLFSON GALLERIES
[Paul Kindersley, Oh! 2018 c. Paul Kindersley courtesy the artist and Belmacz. Orlando at the present time]

Paul Kindersley, Oh! 2018 c. Paul Kindersley courtesy of the artist and Belmacz.

Charleston’s opening exhibition, ‘Orlando at the present time’, will bring together contemporary artistic responses to Virginia Woolf’s landmark novel Orlando: A Biography, and will mark 90 years since the novel’s original publication. Works by artists including Kaye Donachie, Paul Kindersley, Delaine Le Bas and Matt Smith will be shown – alongside rarely seen letters, photographs and objects pertaining to the original publication of the novel.

Find out more

In response to ‘Orlando at the present time’, we have Orlando Reawakened 11 – 14 October – a festival including talks, performance, and film with opportunities to get involved. Celebrate with us as Virginia Woolf’s Orlando turns 90.

BOOK TICKETS FOR ORLANDO REAWAKENED<https://www.charleston.org.uk/whats-on/?category=Orlando+Reawakened&date=&search_events=true>

ZANELE MUHOLI: FACES AND PHASES
SOUTH GALLERY
[Zanele Muholi, Parktown, Johannesburg, 2016. 'Faces and Phases']

Zanele Muholi, Parktown, Johannesburg, 2016.

‘Faces and Phases’ is an ongoing series of black-and-white photographic portraits by Zanele Muholi, commemorating and celebrating black lesbian and transgender experiences. Describing the project, Muholi has said that ‘Faces and Phases’ is an “insider’s perspective that both commemorates and celebrates the lives of the black queers I have met in my journeys. I set out to establish relationships with them based on a mutual understanding of what it means to be a black member of the LGBTQIA+ community today.”

We will also be showing Zanele Muholi’s film ‘Difficult Love’ on 10 November.

BOOK TICKETS FOR DIFFICULT LOVE<https://www.charleston.org.uk/event/difficult-love-with-zanele-muholi/>

FAMOUS WOMEN DINNER SERVICE
SPOTLIGHT GALLERY
[Famous Women Dinner Service, courtesy of Piano Nobile (Robert Travers Works of Art Limited).]

Famous Women Dinner Service, courtesy of Piano Nobile (Robert Travers Works of Art Limited).

Charleston will host the first museum display of Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant’s Famous Women Dinner Service since it was created for Kenneth Clarke in 1932. After this the plates disappeared from public view and their whereabouts were unknown until very recently. The plates were created by Bell and Grant when they lived at Charleston and each plate depicts one famous woman, featuring figures as various as the Queen of Sheba, Sappho, Nell Gwynn, Emily Brontë and Elizabeth I.

Banner image credit: Axel Hesslenberg

With thanks to our exhibition launch partners and their generous support:

[https://www.charleston.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/f62fd2c5-871a-45ce-9721-a39e8e9fe7da.jpg]

Small Wonder Slam

Polish your short story, practise performing it, and compete for writerly prizes.  The SLAM is back! More<https://www.charleston.org.uk/event/small-wonder-slam/>

ORLANDO READING GROUP

The perfect way to immerse yourself in a deeper understanding of the book.

Small Wonder Festival 2018

The Small Wonder 2018 website is now live – visit the festival website for full information. More<https://www.charleston.org.uk/event/small-wonder-festival-2018/>

THE MARLBOROUGH THEATRE PRESENTS - CABARET ORLANDO

Revel in a rebellious performance art cabaret that breaks the gender binary with Nando Messias, Marisa Carnesky, Travis Alabanza and KUCHENGA.

________________________________
Get involved

The Charleston Trust (Bloomsbury in Sussex) is a non profit making company limited by guarantee. Registered charity number 1107313<tel:1107313>. Registered in England and Wales, company number 5212725. Registered office Charleston, Firle, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 6LL.

Associate Partners

[Hurst and Rathfinny logo]

Address[Lottery funded logo]
Charleston,