[Vwoolf] Update re: Little-known VB painting.

Regina Marler reginamarler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 11:03:18 EDT 2018

Dear Woolfians,

The wonderful Chris Reed has come forward with information about an early
reproduction of this painting under the title, "The Party," in a review of
a 1922 exhibition. I'll let Jane Garrity publish the details in her
forthcoming essay.

Of course, this complicates (and possibly scuppers) any association with
the character Mrs. Dalloway or early stories leading to the novel, and
supports my hunch that "Mrs. Dalloway's Party" was a selling title tacked
on at some point. But the news is not all bad for my friends, the
Ginsbergs, as we now have an exhibition history for their wonderful,
unusual painting.

Thank you all for your suggestions and speculations re: "The Party!"

Cheers,

Regina