[Vwoolf] Little-known Vanessa Bell painting.

Regina Marler reginamarler at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 12:04:11 EDT 2018

Dear Woolfians,

My friends Barbara and Howard Ginsberg bought this painting from Caroline
Cuthbert at Anthony d'Offay in the 1980s. Caroline only vaguely remembers
the story of its discovery by Quentin Bell and someone else, still rolled,
in the "Monk's House attic." The painting has somehow picked up a title,
"Mrs. Dalloway's Party"--I think a selling title given by d'Offay. It's
signed VB 1922 in pencil on the verso, if I recall.

Looks like Mary Hutchinson on the left, and (at a stretch) Iris Tree in
center? She was plump in this period but I'm not sure she was quite so
monumental.

Diane Gillespie referred to the painting in the Edinburgh Companion, I
think. Jane Garrity hopes to include mention of the painting (and a
reproduction, if possible) in a forthcoming essay. Jane and I welcome any
further thoughts you may have--whether about VB's making of this painting,
VW's acquisition and non-display of it, or your musings on the painting
itself.

With thanks in advance,

Regina Marler