[Vwoolf] Arnold Bennett again

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 29 12:06:19 EST 2018

So I turned to "The Doctor Looks at Literature: Psychological Studies of Life and Letters" (1923), by COLLINS, Joseph (1866-1950, American neurologist), and read his essay on Barbellion.  I was depressed to read:

“The biological discoveries of the latter half of the Nineteenth Century showed conclusively that the ultimate end to which all life is directed and toward which every living being strives is the continuation of the race to which the individual belongs.  Life becomes, therefore, a trust, not a gift, and the only way in which the obligation it entails can be discharged is by transmitting life to a new generation.” (205)

Then I was cheered up when I tuned to chapter vii, “Two Lesser Literary Ladies of London: Stella Benson and Virginia Woolf”.

Stuart