[Vwoolf] Flush - was my face red?

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 23 10:42:42 EST 2018

I was shocked, yea, shocked, when I read today Lord Northcliffe Professor Emeritus John Sutherland using the rebarbative hybrid, “caninophile”.  If you must, it’s “cynophile”, as in cynosure.

Even my US cat calendar tells me that a cat-lover is an ailurophile (and not a felixophile or some such)

“Television” was bad enough . . .

Stuart

Miss Prism.  You are too much alone, dear Dr. Chasuble.  You should get married.  A misanthrope I can understand—a womanthrope, never!

Chasuble.  [With a scholar’s shudder.]  Believe me, I do not deserve so neologistic a phrase.