[Vwoolf] Woolf and Maurois?

Matthew Holliday mattholliday at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 11:23:32 EST 2018

Dear all,

I was wondering if somebody might help me with a question regarding Woolf's movements in May 1928.

That month André Maurois gave six lectures at Trinity College, Cambridge, on 'Aspects of Biography' (published in 1929 by Cambridge University Press). I am trying to find out whether Woolf attended the lectures. Neither the diary or the letters are much help in this instance; the diary for May is patchy at best; and the letters (like the diary) only mention seeing Maurois at a tea party given by Lady Colefax before Whitsun.

The only clue I can find is the diary entry for Thursday 31 May, where Woolf writes: 'No I cannot read Proust at the moment--'. Proust is central to Maurois's lecture on 'Modern Biography'. Could there be a connection there?

With best wishes,
Matthew

Matthew Holliday

AHRC, Midlands3Cities Doctoral Researcher

University of Nottingham

Tel: +44 (0)7890598463