[Vwoolf] The First Reviews of Every Virginia Woolf Novel | Book Marks

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 15 04:58:50 EDT 2018

 Thanks, Gill, really interesting. Notable that from Mrs Dalloway onwards, Woolf's stock was high enough for her reviewers to want to be named; also that all named reviewers are men and readers are described as male by default ('I would venture to guess that Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman'). It jumped out at me that Hilbery is misspelled Hilberry throughout, but there are some gems here. My personal favourites: 'How easily this would split up into vers libre; one has but to rearrange the lines' (Jacob's Room); 'its portrayal of life that is less orderly, more complex and so much doomed to frustration' (To the Lighthouse); and 'They are not six people but six imagist poets, six facets of the imagist poet that Mrs. Woolf is herself' (The Waves). A lovely read.