[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf: bi-polar

Laurie Reiche lauriereiche at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 11:53:40 EST 2018

As I’m on vacation in Vancouver so away from my library, I’ll just say very briefly without much back-up to provide, that Woolf suffered from the standard, to use an ill-chosen word, effects of childhood sexual abuse— anxiety attacks, depression, ptsd, etc. See, of course, Louise De Salvo’s books about Woolf and sexual abuse. I think DeSalvo debunks, quite efficiently, the idea that Woolf was “crazy” or whatever diagnosis one wants to pull out of one’s denial-hat to avoid the sexual abuse in her life (and Vanessa’s!) and the terrible psychological wounds that imparted. As well as at such an early age, the traumas of the sudden deaths of those she was so close to…warmly,	Laurie Reiche of San Francisco now in Vancouver!