[Vwoolf] Hours in a Library

Harish Trivedi harish.trivedi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:59:09 EST 2018

How exhilarating to read that wonderful "common reader" essay again.

It made me feel guilty that from having had a great romp through a whole
lot of random books between the ages of eighteen​ and twenty-four, as VW
say we all do, I have since then become more and more a man who loves
learning (under professional constraints actually) rather than a man who
loves reading. I wonder how many others of us on this list are is the same
boat. But now that I have retired, I may try and revert to age eighteen.

And as I recall, that set of the complete Voltaire in 89 volumes was
something Leonard Woolf carried all the way to Ceylon in 1904 and then back
to England in 1911. He obviously swore by it. And perhaps he had as a
top-level civil servant unlimited baggage allowance on the P & O.

Best wishes.

Harish Trivedi

: