[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf: bi-polar

Ellen Moody ellen.moody at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 15:18:25 EST 2018

Just to clear. I am very interested in all that people are saying. I am
getting a strong sense of what at least this group of people respond to
students about Woolf's mental and emotional troubles and what is apparently
accepted as consensus among Woolf scholars and teachers.

I write to be clear. I was not resisting the idea that Woolf had mental
illnesses, break downs and so on. I hope no one thinks that. Rather the
contemporary labeling (and maybe labeling itself as a way of
containing) and the attitude of mind that seemed to me to go along with
this practice. I liked Hermione Lee's approach.

Someone asked why I resisted this label: I thought I made that clear in my
first email when I described myself. And I have read the literature, oh yes.

Ellen