[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf: bi-polar

Anne Fernald fernald at fordham.edu
Wed Mar 7 12:28:50 EST 2018

Dear Woolfians,

Echoing both the discomfort and much of what Brenda wrote. It's important
to me to distinguish between an educated post-mortem guess, which, I agree,
seems to suggest bipolar or some closely related mental illness, and saying
she was bipolar as a settled fact.

Definitions change and post-hoc diagnoses based on historical evidence can
get us somewhere, but not all the way, so I really want to acknowledge the
fact of Woolf's mental illness, the signs that point scholars to
hypothesize this or that diagnosis, and the fact that, in her lifetime, the
(inadequate) treatment she received did not label her as bipolar.

Anne

--
Anne E. Fernald <http://www.fordham.edu/info/24101/anne_fernald>
Acting Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences
fernald at fordham.edu

Rose Hill: Cunniffe 211
718-817-3034

Lincoln Center: Martino Hall 422