[Vwoolf] Copy of email to the National Portrait Gallery

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Jun 26 04:45:17 EDT 2018

There are various web pages that list misattributed, misunderstood, or
just plain false quotations. But they are generally popular, and not
open to submissions or reliably monitored. What is needed is something
of the reach and reliability of Snopes, a place where false quotations
can be reported.

And rather than a soundbite, a virus would perhaps be a more appropriate
analogy, as such falsities spread, as the saying has it, like the
plague. My own recent encounter with a similar fake quotation came in
connection with writing an introduction to a reissue of Ernest Bramah's
/What Might Have Been/ (1907, reissued in 1909 as /The Secret of the
League/). Every bookseller advertising a copy of this book seems to have
to include the claim that George Orwell acknowledged the book as a
source or inspiration for /1984/. Even Bramah's biographer Aubrey
Wilson, repeats the claim, asserting that "in his letters" Orwell made
this acknowledgement. None of these claims is backed up by evidence from
the letters or elsewhere, although there is evidence that Orwell was
familiar with a number of Bramah's books. For those interested, the next
number of /Notes and Queries/ will have a short piece by me questioning
the claim.

All this confirms that when we impress upon students the need to check
sources and to provide full references, we are doing something important.

Jeremy