[Vwoolf] VW Quote Vote - The Final

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 14:24:03 EDT 2018

Dear All,
I've just posted this on the VWSGB Facebook page, and thought you might be tempted to cast your vote, although it was designed to appeal to students and common readers.
Any of you who don't use Facebook are welcome to email me with your vote, but please don't pass my email address on to mailing lists.
You can tell it's Friday, can't you?
Thanks,
Sarah

* Vote for your favourite VW quote – THE FINAL *
Thanks to all those who emailed or Facebooked their favourite Virginia Woolf quotations. We received a great variety, but have shortlisted the following five. Just vote for your favourite using the number next to it. If you voted earlier, you can choose the same one or another, and you can make your message public or reply privately. But please vote!
1) Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself. (Mrs Dalloway)
2) In the bellow and the uproar; the carriages, motor cars, omnibuses, vans, sandwich men shuffling and swinging; brass bands; barrel organs; in the triumph and the jingle and the strange high singing of some aeroplane overhead was what she loved; life; London; this moment of June. (Mrs Dalloway)
3) Why, if one wants to compare life to anything, one must liken it to being blown through the Tube at fifty miles an hour – landing at the other end without a single hairpin in one’s hair! Shot out at the feet of God entirely naked! Tumbling head over heels in the asphodel meadows like brown paper parcels pitched down a shoot in the post office! With one’s hair flying back like the tail of a race-horse. Yes, that seems to express the rapidity of life, the perpetual waste and repair; all so casual, all so haphazard ... ('The Mark on the Wall')
4) Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind. (A Room of One's Own)
5) Nothing is simply one thing. (To the Lighthouse)

https://www.facebook.com/VWSGB#vwquotevote