[Vwoolf] Dallowday

Alice E. Staveley staveley at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 31 13:13:53 EST 2018

Hi Everyone,

Given the extensive research that disproves an exact date, I vote to privilege the day over the date.  The month and the weekday are in the novel but not, tellingly, the date.  There is something of the ‘on or about’ nature of this omission which would be lovely to honor in our own party planning.   Returning just now to the place in Anne’s edition where Wednesday is named, Woolf (as she often does) reminds us that all temporalities have a terminus, and so our efforts to fix time on a calendar are both necessary and contingent: “…all those hurrying along the pavement this Wednesday morning are but bones with a few wedding rings mixed up in their dust and the gold stopping of innumerable decayed teeth.” (15)

But party we must!  Maybe the third Wednesday of every June (if only because 1923 brings 23 before our eyes which just happens to combine 3 numbers from the 13th and the 20th — the days on which the two mid-June Wednesdays fell in 1923 — and that dangling 9 is divisible — of course — by 3.  But that’s as far as I’ll go with the math here, chary of Woolf’s own “innumerable” caution above).

Happy Wednesday all!
Best wishes,
Alice