[Vwoolf] Cornflower mystery

coruscate818 coruscate818 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 23:15:44 EST 2018

 Woolf may have seen some of Van Gogh's paintings of cornflowers in Roger
Fry's Post-Impressionist exhibitions. Anna Gruetzner Robins's  "'Manet and
the Post-Impressionists'" : a Checklist of Exhibits"    (
http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/art-REF/BurlDEC10pp782_93.pdf ) includes
"The man with the cornflower (no.67; 1890)" (
https://www.vincent-van-gogh-gallery.org/Young-Man-With-Cornflower.html)
and "Cornfield with Rooks, known as Crows over wheatfield (no.71; 1890)" (not
"Wheatfield with Cornflowers"), although she later states that "[s]everal
other pictures by Van Gogh were exhibited ex-catalogue."

In the 1930s,  Maybelline and Rose Laird were advertising blue eye shadow:

[image: Inline image 2] it: [image: Inline image 3]

​

​Rose Laird: Makeup for Siren Eyes [image: Inline image 1]​

​http://www.cosmeticsandskin.com/booklets/laird-protection-1935.php​