[Vwoolf] Cornflower mystery

Elisa Sparks sparks at clemson.edu
Tue Jan 30 15:22:29 EST 2018

Dear all-

I am writing currently writing about cornflowers (aka Bachelor Buttons) in Woolf and I have found a passage which makes no sense to me.  On July 21, 1934, Virginia and Leonard went to Cambridge to visit an old friend, Barbara Hutchison, recently married to Victor Rothschild and very pregnant.  After lunch Woolf describes Barbara as sitting “very upright, painted like a cornflower” (D4 228).  I have no idea what this can possibly mean. Anybody else have any ideas?  Could it be a misreading of her handwriting?  Were women wearing vivid blue eye shadow yet?

Fascinated to hear what you all come up with--

Elisa