[Vwoolf] Le Guin and Woolf

Sally Greene sally at ibiblio.org
Thu Jan 25 09:29:27 EST 2018

On Woolf's birthday, and in memory of the late, great Ursula K. Le Guin, I
offer this passage from Le Guin's wonderful book The Wave of the Mind:

"What is the rhythm the silent reader hears? What is the rhythm the prose
writer follows?

"While she was writing her last novel, Pointz Hall, which she refers to
below as PH, and which when it was published became Between the Acts,
Virginia Woolf wrote in her diary:

"'It is the rhythm of a book that, by running in the head, winds one into a
ball: and so jades one, The rhythm of PH (the last chapter) became so
obsessive that I heard it, perhaps used it, in every sentence I spoke. By
reading the notes for memoirs I broke this up. The thyrhm of the notes is
far freer and looser. Two days of writing in that rhythm has completely
refreshed me. So I go back to PH tomorrow. This I think is rather
profound.' (Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 November 1940)"

--
Sally Greene
919-260-4077

sallygreene.org