[Vwoolf] List serve problems

Elisa Sparks sparks at clemson.edu
Thu Feb 15 11:17:05 EST 2018

Dear All (finally ALL) Woolfians--

Since the beginning of February I have been working with the very fine folks at OSC to solve some security issues that have had an impact on the list.  As service providers change their security specifications to keep up with ever-evolving threats, they sometimes create barriers to legitimate mail through DMARC commands.  Apparently  a bunch of these new restrictions kicked in at the beginning of the year, and as a consequence people were bumped off the list.

Many of you may have received notifications that your subscriptions have been disabled due to excessive bounces. (I have rather enjoyed the vision of all you wonderful Woolf people bouncing on some giant world trampoline).  Those notices contained directions for reinstating your subscription by clicking on a link and following directions.  Those of you who did this, thank you.  It was legitimate and you were reinstated.  However at least 154 of you either did not get the notices or thought they were bogus or dangerous.  I have now gone through the entire list and reinstated everyone who was bounced off.  The tech people at OSC have reset our security parameters, and since I have not received any new bounce notifications for the past week or so, I am hoping this has solved the problem.

If this begins happening again, please do follow instructions for reinstating yourself.

We have done all we can with this.  And I am hoping this is enough. The next step wd be for YOU to notify your service provider and complain that they are bouncing you off the list and ask them to reset their DEMARC parameters.  According to OSU, they do not always agree to do this. The majority of bounces were coming from aol, yahoo, and academic accounts to numerous to track, but including many non-USA universities.  But for now, all appears to be okay.

I do get a notice when you are bounced. And I can go in and unblock you.  But I am hoping I will not have to do this one by one again.

You were off the list for 2 weeks at most.  OSU asked me not to reinstate everyone while they were trying to figure out what the problem was.  If this is the first time you have heard about this problem, you probably were bounced.  You may have missed Derek's announcement that the deadline for proposals to this year's Woolf conference at the University of Kent in Canterbury has been extended until Feb 16.

 I am not going to resend everything that came to the list in the last two weeks, as there are 600 or so members who would be getting duplicates, but I trust that anyone who has a REALLY IMPORTANT announcement will resend it.

Thanks for your patience.
Elisa Kay Sparks, Web Moderator for the VWoolf List Serve