[Vwoolf] Deadline extension: Sept. 30, 2018 CFP: VW Miscellany on Collecting Woolf and Hogarth Press books

Catherine Hollis hollisc at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 15 14:29:16 EDT 2018

Dear Woolf Community,

Yesterday's exchange on our listserv about Honey and Wax bookshop and
Second Shelf books testifies to a growing interest in feminist bookselling
and book collecting. Our bookshelves tell stories about our literary
interests, our cultural commitments, and our relationships with each other.

Please consider writing something for the upcoming issue of the Virginia
Woolf Miscellany on "Collecting Woolf and Hogarth Press." The deadline is
extended to September 30! You could write a short piece (500 or so words)
on a particular book in your own collection, or a longer piece (2000 or so
words) on any aspect of collecting, collections, feminist book
associations, and more (see the CFP below). Please share the CFP! And do
write me if you have an idea you'd like to discuss.

And keep in mind Honey and Wax's motto: "Use books as bees use flowers, and
pollinate the world."

Be well all,

Catherine

CFP: Woolf Miscellany, "Collecting Woolf" Sept. 30 deadline

Who collects Virginia Woolf and Hogarth Press books? When did the demand
for and economic value of Woolf’s and the Hogarth Press’s books begin in
the antiquarian book trade? Are Woolf and Hogarth Press books more or less
desirable than other modernist first editions? What are the emotional,
haptic, and educational values of early Woolf and Hogarth Press editions
for scholars, students, and common readers? What do the book collections of
Virginia and Leonard Woolf tell us about their lives as readers and
writers?

In addition to more formal academic essays, this issue of the *Miscellany *(in
collaboration with Blogging Woolf <https://bloggingwoolf.wordpress.com/> )
will also feature a special section called “Our Bookshelves, Ourselves.”
Our book collections tell stories about our reading lives and also about
our lives in the larger community of Woolf’s readers and scholars. In fact,
a history of our bookshelves might begin to tell a history of the IVWS
itself. If you are a “common book collector,” and your books tell a story
about your immersion in Woolf or Hogarth Press studies, tell us about it.
If you have interesting strategies or stories about acquiring collectible
editions of Woolf and Hogarth Press books on a budget, let us know!

Send submissions of 2000 words for longer essays and 500 words for “Our
Bookshelves” by September 30, 2018 to Catherine Hollis via
hollisc at berkeley.edu

--
Catherine W. Hollis, PhD
Instructor, Fall Program for Freshmen