[Vwoolf] MDA & BP

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 27 11:54:15 EDT 2018

When reading Molly Hoff’s article on “Mrs. Dalloway” in the latest VWM, I was struck by this passage:

“The King and Queen are recently returned from Italy as indicated by the flag now flying over Buckingham Palace; they have just knighted the Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini as of Monday, 11 June 1923 (MD 6, 27; Time/Capsule 104).”

I did not doubt this – Wikipedia confirmed it – but I’ve had a bit of trouble tracking it down.  The Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath was awarded by George V on 7 May 1923 during his visit to Italy (The Times (London, England), Tuesday, May 08, 1923; pg. 14) – and annulled in 1940.

One could do more work on the Royals in MD.  There’s a ref. to a recent “Buckingham Palace garden party”, but in 1923, while there was a royal g.p. at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh on Wed 10 July, the B.P. g.p. was on Thurs 26 July: their majesties’ first and only g.p. of the season – “delightful informality” – refreshments provided by J. Lyons & Co.