[Vwoolf] Fwd: CFP: FiMA and Space Between Society joint conference, June 7-9, 2018

Sarah Cornish sarahcornish at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 17:42:20 EDT 2017

Dear
​ ​Woolf Scholars​,

Apologies for cross-posting. Below and attached, please find the CFP for a
conference to be held by The Space Between Society and the Feminist
inter/Modernist Association
​​
​ ​
*June 7-9, 2018 at the University of Northern Colorado*. The conference
marks the inaugural event for FiMA and celebrates the 20th anniversary of
The Space Between Society. Our theme is "Intersections of Resistance," and
I've attached a pdf of the CFP and pasted it below. Please circulate
widely.

Conference details will be available as we get closer to the submission
deadline (December 1, 2017), but in the meantime, you may direct queries to
me off list.

We look forward to welcoming you to Greeley, Colorado in June.

Best wishes,

Sarah
​ ​
Cornish
and the Organizing Team (Melissa Bradshaw, Robin Feenstra, Meghan Fox, Erin
Kingsley, Jennifer Nesbitt, and Julie Vandivere)

*CFP: “Intersections of Resistance in the Space Between, 1914-1945”*

*June 7-9, 2018*

*University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO*

The 20th annual meeting of the Space Between Society is partnering with the
recently formed Feminist inter/Modernist Association (FiMA) to provide a
unique opportunity to forge deeper connections within our research and
pedagogy. By combining the mission of each society, we unite in the hopes
of rethinking and producing new intersections in scholarship of the WWI,
interwar, and WWII periods, especially as they uncover the rich vein of
feminist practices across the space between. Central to our conversations
at the conference will be this question:

*What becomes possible for our understanding of the cultural productions of
the space between and of feminist intermodernisms when we begin to look at
how various forms of resistance intersect?*

Shifts in the world’s political climate have energized humans to re-imagine
structures of power that oppress, silence, and immobilize. Those who
cultivate communities where diversity, inclusivity, and civil discourse
thrive, unite under the term “resistance” to rally against forces that seek
to neutralize differences and impose restrictions on civil liberties. Yet,
as a term, an idea, and a practice, “resistance” requires critical inquiry.
Resistance does not always suggest overhaul or revolution, but rather,
invites ways in which existing structures might be reconfigured to make
space for multiple voices. Culture makers of the interwar period critiqued
the values of both antagonists that led to the ambiguous causes, goals, and
unnecessary human losses of WWI. By contrast, writers of WWII called for
the activation of humanistic values to defeat the Axis powers' unambiguous
goal of global conquest. Resistance is now back in significant ways, and
carries cultural capital that is rich for analysis in our scholarship, our
teaching, and our everyday actions.

We seek paper proposals that engage possible intersections and modes of
resistance rooted in the World War I, interwar, and World War II periods
across disciplines and media. Potential topics include but are not limited
to:

·      Engaging with Terms: Intersection/Intersectionality, Resistance,
Refusal, Persistence

·      Feminist Work (suffrage, economics, the home, the front, etc…)

·      Activism of Resistance (militant, pacifist, union organizing, etc…)

·      Social and Political Networks/Community Groups and Initiatives

·      Class Privilege and Limitations

·      Feminist Interventions into Genre and Canonicity

·      Intermodernist Reconfigurations

·      Embodiment and Identity

·      Feminist Spaces (urban, suburban, rural, natural, mechanized, hybrid
etc…)

·      Religion and Spirituality

·      Commemoration and Monuments

·      Resistance by Design (fashion, architecture, art, music, dance, etc…)

·      Media and New Technologies (film, radio, print, etc . . .)

·      Rhetoric of Slogan and Image: propaganda and advertising

·      Archives, Self-Fashioning, Narrative Preservation, Recovery,
Recuperation

·      Lines of Least Resistance: Complicity, Collaboration,
Treason/Betrayal

*NEW FEATURE:*

In addition to traditional thematic panels, we will be organizing
roundtables on the conference theme, both on research and on pedagogy. You
are invited to submit a roundtable presentation proposal, which should
consider these two questions in light of either your research or your
teaching:

 *What can “resistance” mean for feminism, modernism, intermodernism, and
today?*

*How does thinking about “intersection” open up new ways of understanding
resistance?*

You may submit both an abstract for a traditional paper and a roundtable
proposal.

*Please send abstracts and roundtable proposals of no more than 300 words
to sarahcornish at gmail.com <sarahcornish at gmail.com> by December 1,
2017. *Submissions
should include the author’s name, affiliation, and contact information.

--

Sarah E. Cornish, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English

sarah.cornish at unco.edu