[Vwoolf] Query: on how to teach Orlando: what approaches work

Anne Fernald fernald at fordham.edu
Thu Nov 16 14:43:40 EST 2017

Dear Ellen,

When I've taught Orlando to adult learners (that is, older-than-traditional
aged students), I find that all I need to do is go in with 5-6 passages
that are key plot points (not esoteric moments)--the sex change, meeting
Shel, struggling to find the right description for the color green, skating
with Sasha--and bring us there and let them ask their questions.

Everyone likes looking at images--within *Orlando* and other images that
you might find--of Knole, Sissinghurst, Vita, etc. Such images help bring
the conversation to life and seem to spark questions of their own.

In my undergraduate Woolf class we did something fun this week: I divided
the room into five sections (I have 32 students and we're reading Orlando
at the moment) and each group looked at a passage where the narrator seems
flummoxed by the challenge of writing this biography--the 7-day sleep after
Sasha's departure, several other moments, culminating in the sex change.
Looking at the sex change in that generic/biographical/satiric context was
a good combination of light-hearted and meaningful.

We laughed a lot at clips from the film for sure. When I re-watched
*Orlando* with my daughters 14 & 11 last weekend they both loved it. The
older girl is now reading her first Woolf....!

Yours,

Anne

--
Anne E. Fernald <http://www.fordham.edu/info/24101/anne_fernald>
Acting Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences
fernald at fordham.edu

Rose Hill: Cunniffe 211
718-817-3034

Lincoln Center: Martino Hall 422