[Vwoolf] Chocolate Creams?

Byrne, Anne (Soc & Pol) anne.byrne at nuigalway.ie
Fri Mar 31 06:29:36 EDT 2017

Morning All- I have a research quest which you might be able to help me with? I am looking for an explanation of what 'chocolate creams' meant in post WW1 Britain. Why? I need an image of chocolate creams as recognised by Leonard and Virginia but as I don't know what the term means I am somewhat at a standstill. Are 'chocolate creams'  hand made (or not) confectionary (sweets in a box), biscuits (perhaps like bourbons or oreos today) or are they a chocolate bar (think Fry's) or some sort of desert made of chocolate and cream? My mind is frazzled by the puzzle  and I have to say looking at the pictures of chocolate does make me chocolate hungry. The plural seems to be important - any ideas?

The context as you probably can guess is that Virginia and Leonard celebrated the end of the war together, sitting by the fire, 'sacramentally' eating 'chocolate creams', purchased from a Belgian confectioner on Richmond Hill (see Glendinning). The Bloomsbury Cookbook by Jans Ondaatje Rolls gives a recipe for same but according to a Guardian review this is more like a Swiss roll (Regretfully I don't have a copy of the book to check). Florinda in Jacob's Room is partial to chocolate creams and so might I if I knew what they were!

Margaret Cole sends 'chocolate creams' to Leonard in 1967 after reading Beginning Again  (Glendinning) and other readers reputedly wished they could.

It's frivolous I know but sometimes....Looking forward to another great conference in Reading.

Warm wishes

Anne Byrne