[Vwoolf] Elusive Thoreau quote

Michael Schrimper mschrimp at umail.iu.edu
Thu Mar 16 08:25:35 EDT 2017

Dear Sunjoo,

After being unable to locate the Thoreau quote myself, I shared it with my
colleagues in the Thoreau Society. Two of four, at this point, are
“stumped,” but we still have two more continuing to search. We agree that
your supposition about a translation and then a retranslation (perhaps on
Bachelard’s part) sounds likely. In Walden’s “Reading” section, Thoreau
talks of “youthful days” and “language,” however it would still be a
stretch (which does happen in translation) to arrive at this sentence in
question. I think the other two scholars are searching the journal; let’s
see what they turn up.

Best,

Michael Schrimper