[Vwoolf] "we only languish during maturity in order to tell the dreams of our childhood" (source: Walden?)

Sunjoo Lee abgrund at naver.com
Wed Mar 15 04:32:51 EDT 2017

Dear all,

Gaston Bachelard cites Thoreau on p. 118 of The Poetics of Reverie:

Thoreau wrote: "It seems that we only languish during maturity in order to tell the dreams of our childhood, and they vanish from our memory before we were able to learn their language."

The footnote gives a citation from a French translation of Walden, which I couldn't get hold of.
Does anyone recognize the quote, as from Walden or from perhaps somewhere else? I did some search (Google, Project Gutenberg) and it seems Walden doesn't contain that sentence.

Maybe it is really from Walden, but a re-translation (a severe one?!) of a French translation.
I'm hoping someone has a clue!

(I'm thinking about that sentence in relation to a project on Woolf. I hope this isn't an incongruous topic on the listserv.)

All best,
Sunjoo