[Vwoolf] News Story

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 24 12:35:52 EDT 2017

“The turnover of residents is quite rapid since whoever is quartered in this room is generally in the later stages of dementia. But that is not what they die of. None of these lost women can feed herself and to feed them properly, to spoon in sufficient mince and mashed carrot topped off with rhubarb and custard to keep them going, demands the personal attention  of a helper, in effect one helper per person. Lacking such one-to-one care, these helpless creatures slowly and quite respectably starve to death. [. . .] And if Mam has survived as long as she has it is because, though she can no longer feed herself, she nevertheless is anxious to eat [. . .].”
(Alan Bennett, “Untold Stories”, 2005, 114-15)

Not everyone has a Leonard Woolf.

Stuart