[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf and "the world broke in two"

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 13 11:24:22 EDT 2017

Of course, I haven’t seen the book, but I wonder about this:

‘A child’s voice in “Jacob’s Room,” disrupting a painter trying to paint, originates in the irritating children outside Woolf’s own window.’

L1 345 (1908) seems too early; D1 152 (1918) is not especially convincing – unless I’ve missed something somewhere else.

And this:

‘After the war, Virginia Woolf claimed to have “burst out laughing” at the sound of Tennyson.’

It must be referring to 1929, in “Room”.

Stuart