[Vwoolf] FW: NYTimes: Ruth Gruber, a Fearless Chronicler of the Jewish Struggle, Dies at 105

Adams, David adams.428 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 20 19:32:13 EST 2016

Thank you for sharing the link, Mark.

Anyone wishing to fill the Woolf hole in this obit might be interested in this 2012 post by the editor of the 2005 reprint of Ruth's dissertation:  http://philipsturner.com/2012/04/15/virginia-woolf-ruth-gruber-create-women/

The NYTimes also fails to mention Ruth's work on international adoption.  My family knew her in the 1970s and 80s as a result of this work, and at the time, alas, I knew nothing of her work on and encounter with Woolf.  Such a missed opportunity!  I won't go into detail here since I never discussed Woolf with her, but I have posted a brief account on Facebook for anyone interested in another memory of her:  https://www.facebook.com/david.adams.428/posts/10207527873570216

David

P.S. From the blog mentioned above, I'm inserting below a photograph of Woolf's 21 June 1935 letter to Gruber, along with Gruber's caption.  I believe this is from the 2011 ICP exhibit:  https://www.icp.org/exhibitions/ruth-gruber-photojournalist

[cid:0BF54BEB-D2E6-4461-A0A8-9576D2815074 at wowway.com]

Ruth Gruber, a Fearless Chronicler of the Jewish Struggle, Dies at 105
http://nyti.ms/2f6aLMO