[Vwoolf] favorite Woolf criticism?

Allison Lin tzuyulin at hotmail.com
Tue May 24 04:07:29 EDT 2016

Dear Anne and Woolfians,
I will say Laura Marcus's 'Virginia Woolf and the Art of the Novel' (Ch 12 of _Dreams of Modernity_).
Best,
Allison

From: mcheney at gmail.com
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 21:37:57 -0400
To: fernald at fordham.edu
CC: vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: [Vwoolf] favorite Woolf criticism?

Hi Anne and Woolfians,

Lisa Tyler's "Cultural Conversations: Woolf’s 1927 Review Of Hemingway"
in The Journal of Modern Periodical
Studies 6.1 (2015, pp. 44–59) is quite readable and informative,
and it could be useful in showing students how Woolf read a writer they
might be familiar with from the era.

When I first discovered Sara Crangle's “Woolf’s Cesspoolage: On Waste
and Resignation” (The Cambridge
Quarterly, 40.1, 2011, pp. 1–20) it blew my mind because if you'd
 told me before I read it that it was possible to write an informative,
thoughtful essay about Woolf and waste (toilets!), I'd have been perhaps
 a bit doubtful. But I got to the end and my primary complaint was that
it wasn't longer!

Speaking of longer, I have to mention one you probably would never use
in an undergrad course, but I just adore it for the way it deepens our
knowledge of Woolf in the late 'teens/early 'twenties: "Virginia Woolf’s
 Research for Empire and Commerce in
Africa (Leonard Woolf, 1920)" by Michèle Barrett, Woolf Studies Annual 19 (2013) pp.
83-122.

Cheers,

Matt Cheney

Matthew Cheney

Ph.D. Candidate

University of New Hampshire

Department of English

Durham, NH 03824

Anne Fernald wrote:

  Dear Woolfians,
It's time to revamp
my Woolf syllabi and I thought I'd ask you to name the one or two
articles in Woolf studies that you've read recently that you've found
particularly thought-provoking, provocative and/or teachable. I really
want the ones that changed the way you understood Woolf or one of her
texts.
Thanks in advance--eager to hear your
suggestions,
Anne
--

Anne
 E. FernaldProfessor of English and Women's