[Vwoolf] Concert tickets now on sale

Jane deGay J.deGay at leedstrinity.ac.uk
Wed May 11 09:42:52 EDT 2016

Dear all

We are very pleased to say that tickets for our concert, Virginia: A Musical Portrait are now available from our online store<https://virginiawoolf2016.wordpress.com/online-store/>. These are available to delegates of Woolf 2016 for the discounted price of £10 (the concert is also open to the public for £12.50, so please spread the word). Please see the press release below for more details: it's going to be an amazing evening!

We are also delighted to announce that we have negotiated 16 more spaces on the Haworth trip, so we have reopened bookings. (We negotiated 8 more spaces for Giggleswick, and there are just a couple left.) Finally, also see our online store for some lovely T-shirts and book bags with our conference image by John Haddock.

Best wishes
Jane, Anne and Tom

The 26th Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf | Leeds Trinity University | 16-19 June 2016
Revd Dr Jane de Gay (Organizer) | Tom Breckin and Anne Reus (Co-Organizers)

Early bird registration ends on 31st May. Please visit our online store to book your place: www.woolf2016.com/online-store<http://www.woolf2016.com/online-store>.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D1AB93.4083B290]

Brownberrie Lane * Horsforth * Leeds * LS18 5HD * UK
+44 (0)113 283 7100 * www.leedstrinity.ac.uk * @LTUNewsroom
Press Release
Issued: 9 May 2016

World première of music inspired by Virginia Woolf to be hosted in Leeds in June

The world première of music inspired by British modernist author Virginia Woolf will be performed in Leeds on Friday 17 June.

Virginia: A Musical Portrait will showcase three new musical compositions - The Lonely Mind by Jan-Willem van Herpen, Woolf Letters by Richard Barnard and a song by Jeremy Thurlow. The programme will be completed by Dominick Argento's From the Diary of Virginia Woolf (1974).

The concert, which is open to the public, is part of the 26th Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf, which is being held at Leeds Trinity University from 16 - 19 June.

Dr Jane de Gay, conference organiser and Director of Victorian Studies at Leeds Trinity University, said:

"We are thrilled to have this concert in our conference programme. It is a testimony to the power of Woolf's writing that she inspires such creativity in others.

"This is the second concert in the series Virginia Woolf & Music - its inaugural concert took place in St Andrews in March and other events are planned for London and Cambridge - so it is an honour to be involved in this exciting and prestigious project."

The series is a collaboration between Dr Emma Sutton of the University of St Andrews and pianist Lana Bode. Bode will perform in the concert, with Annelies van Hijfte (soprano), Marta Fontanals-Simmons (mezzo-soprano), Siân Cameron (mezzo-soprano) and Nicola Rose (piano).

Emma Sutton, Founding Director of Virginia Woolf & Music, said:

"The prospect of hearing three new settings of Woolf's work in one concert is extremely exciting. Given Woolf's passionate lifelong interest in music, it's fascinating that her writing has recently inspired a number of composers to set her words or respond more obliquely to her prose. This concert promises to be intimate and evocative since it focuses on settings of Woolf's private writing. We are delighted that the International Woolf Conference is hosting the concert, and are honoured to be welcoming the composers to discuss their new work."

The event takes place on Friday 17 June, 8.00pm at The Clothworkers' Centenary Concert Hall at University of Leeds School of Music. It is open to members of the public. Tickets cost £12.50, and are available on the door or from the conference online store: www.woolf2016.com/online-store<http://www.woolf2016.com/online-store>.

The series is sponsored by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), The University of St Andrews, the Virginia Woolf Society of Great Britain, StAnza and Leeds Trinity University.

ENDS
For all media enquiries, please contact:

Hayley Cook | Press and Media Officer
T: 0113 283 7247
E: h.cook at leedstrinity.ac.uk<mailto:h.cook at leedstrinity.ac.uk>

Editors' Notes

Photographs: Howard Nelson and Susan Watson

About Leeds Trinity University
In fewer than 50 years, Leeds Trinity University has transformed itself from two small Catholic teacher training colleges to an acclaimed university with an excellent track record for launching the careers of its students.

Employability
One of the first universities to include compulsory professional work placements with every degree, Leeds Trinity now work closely with over 2000 businesses across all sectors, regionally and nationally, who offer students placements that are relevant to their degrees. These partnerships also ensure that the University embeds into its curricula the skills required for students to secure graduate-level jobs in their field. The results speak for themselves, with 95% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating.

Industry-leading
Whilst maintaining a reputation for excellence in the training of teachers, the University has diversified to offer Foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in a range of subjects including Business, Education, Humanities, Media, Psychology and Sport. In particular, the University has a long-established reputation for being one of the leading providers of journalism training in the country.

Research excellence
The University is becoming increasingly renowned for research excellence, particularly in the Arts and Humanities, Sport and Exercise Sciences, Psychology, Education and Social Policy. A selection of the University's research was rated as 4* world-leading in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), which assesses all the research published by UK institutions.

It is home to the internationally-acclaimed Leeds Centre for Victorian Studies, and has also enhanced its reputation in pedagogic research by creating an Institute for Childhood and Education. By pooling the expertise of its acclaimed departments of Primary Education, Secondary Education and Children, Young People and Families, the Institute will collaborate with sector agencies operating in Children's Services and Education to develop innovative, research-based approaches to practice in this challenging area. Leeds Trinity is also expanding its postgraduate research provision and offers a number of fully-funded PhD Studentships each year.

A name, not a number
We're proud to have satisfied students. The most recent NSS results revealed that 85% of our 2015 graduates were satisfied with their course. We're also ranked in the top ten in the UK for student satisfaction with feedback and assessment, according to the 2016 Guardian University Guide, and we're ranked 28th out of all 113 UK universities by WhatUni in 2015, thanks to glowing reviews from our very own students.

These scores reflect our commitment to offering a truly personalised university experience where every student is treated as a name, not a number. This isn't just marketing speak; it's an ethos that underpins all that we do enabling students to benefit from personalised one-to-one support.