[Vwoolf] FW: IVWS Panel at Louisville Conference CFP

Kristin Czarnecki Kristin_Czarnecki at georgetowncollege.edu
Wed Mar 30 15:09:05 EDT 2016

Hello, Everyone,

Please see the announcement below.

Best,

Kristin

From: Judith Johnston [mailto:johnston at rider.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 2:51 PM
To: Kristin Czarnecki <Kristin_Czarnecki at georgetowncollege.edu>
Subject: Re: IVWS Panel at Louisville Conference CFP

Please share this with the members of the International Virginia Woolf Society.

Dear Members of the International Virginia Woolf Society:

I'm reaching out to you today to let you know about a May 14th performance of a composition by an extraordinary woman, Dame Ethel Smyth. Dame Ethel was a lover and compatriot of Virginia Woolf, had her portrait sketched by Sargent, and was a prolific writer with a deft, dry wit.

Cantori New York, an award-winning chamber choir under the artistic direction of Mark Shapiro, will perform Dame Ethel’s cantata, The Prison, on Saturday, May 14th at 8:00 PM, in New York City, at 487 Hudson Street.

I am eager to spread the news about this concert, so that an appreciative audience may hear this piece. The Prison is a magnificent work –in Smyth's cantata, a Prisoner has a dialogue with his Soul; its harmonies are complex, vivid, and adventurous. To my knowledge, this wonderful work has never before been performed in the United States.

In addition to being one of the very few known female composers of the late 19th and early 20th century, Ethel Smyth was an outspoken suffragist, an author, and a champion of the early movement in Britain and the United States for women's equality. She was the first female composer to have an opera performed at the Metropolitan Opera, in 1903!

Cantori is thrilled to bring Dame Ethel's work to life in a new century. We are reaching out to organizations, press and other groups that take an interest in women's issues to come and experience this concert, or promote it to their member audiences. Cantori New York offers discounts for students and seniors, and could also discuss a group discount for your organization. If you are interested in speaking with our Artistic Director, Mark Shapiro, to publish an article about Dame Ethel and the May 14th performance of The Prison, I would be happy to set up the contact.

For more information on the show and tickets, please visit www.cantorinewyork.com<http://www.cantorinewyork.com>.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Judith Johnston

Member of the International Virginia Woolf Society

Emeritus Professor of English, Rider University

Soprano in Cantori New York, singing this concert