[Vwoolf] Queer Bloomsbury, the book and the tote bag

Brenda S. Helt helt0010 at umn.edu
Thu Jun 23 11:58:13 EDT 2016

Dear all,

Madelyn Detloff and I are proud to announce the publication of Queer
Bloomsbury, a collection of classic ground-breaking essays together with
brand spanking new essays written by Woolf scholars and Bloomsbury scholars
well-known for their expertise.  Published by Edinburgh University Press and
edited by Madelyn Detloff and myself (Brenda Helt), the collection includes
the following:

Part 1: Ground-Breaking Essays:

Introduction to Carolyn Heilbrun’s ‘The Bloomsbury Group’, 1968,  by Brenda
R. Silver

The Bloomsbury Group, by Carolyn Heilbrun

‘Bloomsbury Bashing’ Revisited

Bloomsbury Bashing: Homophobia and the Politics of Criticism in the
Eighties, by Christopher Reed

‘Camp Sites’ Revisited

Camp Sites: Forster and the Biographies of Queer Bloomsbury, by George
Piggford

‘Redecorating the International Economy’ Revisited

Redecorating the International Economy: Keynes, Grant, and the Queering of
Bretton Woods [abridged], by Bill Maurer

Passionate Debates on ‘Odious Subjects’:  Bisexuality and Woolf’s Opposition
to Theories of Androgyny and Sexual Identity [abridged], by Brenda Helt

Part 2: New Essays

The Bloomsbury Love Triangle, by Regina Marler

Duncan Grant and Charleston’s Queer Arcadia, by Darren Clarke

Nailed: Lytton Strachey’s Jesus Camp, by Todd Avery

[T]here were so many things I wanted to do & didn’t’: The Queer Potential of
Carrington’s Life and Art, by Gretchen Holbrook Gerzina

Making Sense of Wittgenstein’s Bloomsbury and Bloomsbury’s Wittgenstein, by
Gaile Pohlhaus, Jr. and Madelyn Detloff

Deviant Desires and the Queering of Leonard Woolf, by Elyse Blankley

Clive Bell, ‘a fathead and a voluptuary’: Conscientious Objection and
British Masculinity, by Mark Hussey

‘I didn’t know there could be such writing’: The Aesthetic Intimacy of E. M.
Forster and T. E. Lawrence, by Jodie Medd

Virginia Woolf’s Queer Time and Place: Wartime London and a World Aslant, by
Kimberly Engdahl Coates

The book can now be ordered in the U.S. and Canada through Oxford University
Press at https://global.oup.com/academic/search?q=queer+bloomsbury
<https://global.oup.com/academic/search?q=queer+bloomsbury&cc=us&lang=en>
&cc=us&lang=en  (Paperback limited time special price: $27.97, use code
AAFLYG6.)   Or at Amazon.com and the usual online sources.

In the U.K. and the rest of the world, Queer Bloomsbury can be ordered
through Edinburgh University Press at
https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=queer+bloomsbur
y (Paperback limited time special price: £19.99, use code New20.)  Or at
Amazon.co.uk and the like.

The tote bag:  What began as a bit of a marketing joke apparently garnered
admirers at the Woolf conference (I’m told), and so I am making Queer
Bloomsbury the tote bag available to all and sundry at
http://pixels.com/products/queer-bloomsbury-full-cover-brenda-helt-tote-bag-
16-16.html .  This can also be accessed via the main menu of my personal
webpage (www.brendahelt.com). Proceeds will go to The Trevor Project, a
national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention
services to LGBTQ young people ages 13-24.  Hilariously, at the same site
you can order Queer Bloomsbury the shower curtain or Queer Bloomsbury the
iPhone case—as I said, this began as a joke.  The tote bag, however, is
actually pretty cool.  So is the book, if I do say so myself.

Very best,

Brenda (and Madelyn)

Brenda Helt

Co-editor Queer Bloomsbury