[Vwoolf] Call for proposals for the Jane Marcus Feminist University

Ashley Foster ashleyfoster at me.com
Wed Jun 22 08:07:02 EDT 2016

Dear Woolf Community,

Please see the Call for Proposals below, which seeks to organise a conference that is to honor Jane Marcus and her contribution to our work and lives.  Please feel free to email me at ashleyfoster at me.com <mailto:ashleyfoster at me.com> or the committee of the conference at janemarcusfeministuniversity at gmail.com <mailto:janemarcusfeministuniversity at gmail.com>.  Attached also find a downloadable copy that you may print and distribute as widely as you please.  Thanks for any dissipation of this call, and it was lovely seeing many of you at the Woolf conference.

All the best,
Ashley Foster

Call for Papers, Proposals, and Participation:

Due July 15, 2016

Jane Marcus Feminist University

Friday, September 9, 2016

9:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

The Graduate Center, City University of New York

365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016

C-Level, Rooms C201, C202, C203

janemarcusfeministuniversity at gmail.com

On September 9, 2016, a conference to celebrate the life and scholarship of Jane Marcus, Jane Marcus Feminist University, will take place at the Graduate Center, City University of New York. The day will offer:

Roundtable on Jane Marcus’s feminist pedagogy
Break out sessions on topics that might include:
Women and war
Race, empire, national identity, and class
Food, opera, art, and fashion
Jane and Historical Materialism
Jane and the Arts
Jane and the Archives
Virginia Woolf
Rebecca West
Modernist Women Writers and Activists
The Suffragettes
Nancy Cunard
The Spanish Civil War
The First World War
Marginal Modernisms
Peripheral Modernisms

“Jane’s Reading List,” with readings from and inspired by her work
Plenary discussion on the legacy of Jane Marcus’s scholarship

The committee is currently accepting abstracts, proposals, and volunteers for:

§  The roundtable on Jane Marcus’s feminist pedagogy: if you would like to participate in the roundtable, please send a 250 word abstract of what you imagine your contribution would be,

§  Leaders for break-out sessions: if you would like to lead a break-out session, please send a 250 word description of your envisioned session.

§  Volunteers to contribute and read for Jane’s reading list: if you would like to join the reading, please send a 250 word abstract of your chosen reading and how it relates to Jane.

If you would like to participate in another way, please email the committee and let us know.

Proposals and volunteer emails are due on July 15, 2016.  Please send your abstracts and communications to: janemarcusfeministuniversity at gmail.com <mailto:janemarcusfeministuniversity at gmail.com>

All questions and communications may be directed to the committee at janemarcusfeministuniversity at gmail.com <mailto:janemarcusfeministuniversity at gmail.com>.

We are also looking for co-sponsors to help fund the reception, travel grants for participants, and child care. If you or your organization can contribute to the conference budget, it would be a great help, and we would happily advertise your co-sponsorship in our publicity materials and program.