[Vwoolf] Woolf CFP for posting

Melissa Rampelli melissa.rampelli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:17:06 EDT 2016

Hello,

I would like to submit the following CFP to the Woolf listserv. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Melissa Rampelli

------

[Seminar] Legacy and the Androgynous Mind: Reading Woolf and the Romantics

NeMLA 2017, March 23-26, 2017

“One must turn back to Shakespeare then, for Shakespeare was androgynous; and so were Keats and Sterne and Cowper and Lamb and Coleridge[…] Some collaboration has to take place in the mind between the woman and the man before the art of creation can be accomplished. Some marriage of opposites has to be consummated” (Woolf, A Room of One’s Own).

In what ways were Virginia Woolf’s ideas and forms building upon or working against Romantic literary and cultural sensibilities? Woolf consistently returned to England’s intellectual, cultural, and literary past as she grappled with legacies of nationalism, gender, and sexuality and their implications for consciousness and the subject. Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own shows us that she read the Romantic poets extensively, claiming Coleridge, Keats, Cowper, and Lamb as exemplary poets of the androgynous mind she championed. With this seminar we seek to foster a rich dialogue around the relationship between Woolf’s oeuvre (fiction and non-fiction) and Romanticism in its lyricism and ideas. Papers may touch on NeMLA’s 2017 theme of urban ecology/the city; nature; memory; fragmentation, or other topics.

Please submit a brief bio and abstract of 200-300 words to the NeMLA portal by September 30, 2016: https://www.cfplist.com/nemla/Home/S/16225