[Vwoolf] Woolf CD-ROM

Christine Froula cfroula at northwestern.edu
Wed Aug 31 08:19:01 EDT 2016

The VW CD-ROM was the first such example of that then-new research
medium our university library acquired. It maintains an "old" computer
as a station where anyone can still use it (I hope: still) and other
such research materials. The last I knew, the students could still use
it there.

In 2014 I think it was, a new computer was forced upon me (because the
University wouldn't support my "old" one). I'd been told my CD-ROM would
work on it, but, alas, it didn't. I expressed distress. A student helper
in the college's computer support department then spent the better part
of an afternoon creating a virtual machine on the new PC that--lo, a
miracle!--runs the CD-ROM just fine.

At the time, we discussed the copyright issue at length and concluded
that since the source is a legitimate, paid-for, circulating copy from
our university library, and there was no other alternative to maintain
its former condition of accessibility, and I would be the only user, and
this is the only way I, a scholar, /can/ use it when I need it, we would
not be infringing copyright.

I'm sorry I don't have the faintest idea what the student helper did. I
hope you can find someone as resourceful as he was.

Best of luck with it,

Christine