[Vwoolf] Scotland again

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 10 07:06:27 EDT 2015

So irritated with plans going wrong this year, “as if it were settled the expedition were bound to take place, and the wonder to which [I] had looked forward, for years and years it seemed, was . . . within touch”.

See email below of 5 July 2014.  I booked 6 weeks in advance to go to Edinburgh yesterday.  Later, I found out that steam trains would run, but not on Wednesdays.  Finally, the whole thing was ruined by the Queen’s suddenly celebrating beating Queen Victoria in length of reign by officially opening the Borders Railway.  See:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=34efbc61c5dfb4e3&id=34EFBC61C5DFB4E3%212099&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&sff=1&authkey=!AIec0BEoa6ew4Zs

Our train was late arriving in Edinburgh, but of course there was no 10.54 because of the Queen.  The 11.25 only went to Gorebridge: on time, then even a platform (9E) was listed, then cancelled.  Subsequent trains only went to Gorebridge and not Tweedbank.  In the photos, you can see the backs of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, and the First Minister (in pink).  Bah!

On a happier note, last year was more successful.  See email below of 7 July 2014 and photos:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=34efbc61c5dfb4e3&id=34EFBC61C5DFB4E3%212056&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&sff=1&authkey=!AJcYe4j6VjczSC0

Stuart